Some of us don’t need buns.
We go all out, open-faced, proud to be uncovered!
Requirements: Thick, Round, and Full.
Of course I am talking about burgers! Tonight, we had Mexican-style Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with all the fixings.
The top: ketchup, mustard, chucky hunks of tomato, and avocado.
The bottom: toasted bread with Garlic Joy spread, jalapeno cheddar-jack. Mmm good!
Naked roasted Okra on the side.
This recipe is definitely a keeper. The mixture was perfectly moist and the spices could be so versatile. Maybe even Mediterranean?
Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers
[adapted from Allrecipes, serves 5]
1 (15 oz.) can of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup Quinoa
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, minced
2 Tablespoons Onion, minced
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Coriander
1/4 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Roughly mash black beans with potato masher, leaving some whole in a paste-like mixture.
3. Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, hot sauce, and egg into the black beans.
4. Using scale, weigh mixture and divide into 5 equal patties.
5. Place patties in hot skillet to brown on both sides, then turn heat down to cook for 5-10 minutes.